TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

I have recently run a number of ideas on the web centered around:
    promoting "TRIUMPH" on our regalia, banners, logos,
    letting people know we drive Triumph TRs thus avoiding the "nice MG mister" issue
    increasing the visibility by creating a striking design suitable for jackets, hats etc.
    promoting the Club
    attracting new members and hopefully younger members

I am just doing this as a member with an interest in the long term survival in the club and I have been fortunate to have the services of Noel Schmidt to translate my wild ideas into some decent graphics.

In a later post you can see how the design was derived from traditional Triumph car roots.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:10 pm 

How about having the word "Sidescreen" somewhere on the design. Wouldn't want to be mistaken for the dreaded "window winders" TRs
Great idea Rick, it's TRiffic to see someone coming up with new ideas to promote The Register.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:49 pm 

Hi Rick, I think the look of the 'idea' logos is great and would be fantastic alongside our official logo. It's terrific that they are inspired by a logo which is on so many of our cars! To me, your thoughts give the impression of movement and fun, and isn't that what our little cars are all about?! Good stuff! Thank you (and Noel) for your efforts. Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:28 pm 

Great idea - looks good (cool!) - can only help to gains one attention - maybe even the younger folk who will be encouraged to meet a British thoroughbred. Well done to all involved in getting this discussion going!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:59 am 

I am sorry to see that there is no corporate support for the work Rick has been doing to stimulate fresh thinking in the Register.

It is common to see or hear comments about the need for fresh blood and fresh thinking to stimulate participation in our cause but when it happens there does not seem to be the same level of enthusiasm.

Please keep up the stimulation Rick.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

President Russell has asked for the "master drawings" and these have now been provided. I understand they will be made available to the regalia people (Chris and Merran) for the possibility of a few samples being shown at the Canberra Concours.

I am still concerned with the following comments:

"Jacket design shown would be confused with the Triumph motor bike insignia, even with the sidescreen graphic"
The post below shows the clear difference and the script is already in use on our cars (badge on the hubcaps).

"... it could confuse people who generally associate Triumph with motorbikes not cars" As above.

"Maybe changed regalia is not the way to promote the Register or car name ..."
Adding the word "TRIUMPH" must surely promote the car name!

"The Fonzie style jacket in your photo doesn't say it is a sports car club as the Triumph flash type wording makes people think of motorbikes"
Several of the designs I have been showing since early APRIL on the web specifically say TR Sports Cars! - as shown below.

"Even when combined with the stylized car it does not translate as a CAR LOGO" You can be the judge

Later on I will post the difference in the motorcycle logo and my proposed script.

Attachments:
Logo Sample B 12th.jpg
Logo Sample B 12th.jpg [ 22.69 KiB | Viewed 5845 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

These images show how I developed the Triumph script from the car hubcap badges (& a similar style on Commission Plates in early Triumph cars from the 1940s).
You be the judge whether it can be confused with the motorcycle logo (apart from the fact that it has the same letters!)

Guys with hubcaps look out - you may be confused with a motorcycle!
Red graphic image produced by Noel Schmidt.

Attachments:
File comment: Triumph Car Script
Triumph1th.jpg
Triumph1th.jpg [ 28.7 KiB | Viewed 5937 times ]
File comment: Motorcycle Logo
triumphmotorcyclelogo.jpg
triumphmotorcyclelogo.jpg [ 7.89 KiB | Viewed 5937 times ]
File comment: Triumph TR (& other) Hubcap Badge
Logo Source 1th.jpg
Logo Source 1th.jpg [ 14.63 KiB | Viewed 5937 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 am 

Personally I would much prefer to be confused with Triumph motorbikes than MGs as is the case in most interactions with the general public.
The conundrum here is the wide choice on Rick and Noel's proposal, every design has merit however the number of choices can be confusing and would be a nightmare for the Regalia Team to balance stock requirements as well as being a financial hit for the club. A decision on a preferred design needs to be made.
Given that there have been no negative comments on this proposal it surely deserves further consideration.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:49 am 

I agree, stimulating consideration and debate is stifled by rejecting the concept at first glance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:57 pm 

Hmmm..... I liked the ideas for logos and new identity items and I liked someone at least 'having a go'. I certainly recognized the 'Triumph' hubcap logo as opposed to the motorcycle logo - not a problem.

It's a pity those who wish to criticize seem not to have any other ideas. I always think that it's OK to criticize something but you need to come up with something constructive in return.

If, as is obviously the case and as our committee has indicated, that we need new blood in the system, we need to move on (perhaps my letter to the committee has been noted - has any actions occurred? Has anyone read it? With zero committee minutes published I have no idea of what the current action is). But we hope that progress is being made.

Cheers and well done Rick,

Bill Revill