TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3° Tr4 trunions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:56 pm 

Has anyone fitted the Tr4 3°trunions to a 3A. I am considering doing mine and interested to know what parts are needed to convert properly.
Did you use the TR4 trunions with a bolt through it or one similar to the 3A trunion. Did you need a new vertical link. Tr4 Upper control arms . Tr4 upper ball joints. A list of needed parts would help . Thanks in advance Ian

Post subject: Re: 3° Tr4 trunions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 am 

Ian
It is an easy conversion. You need TR4-6 upper control arms and ball joint. New TR4 (not4A) trunions These are handed left and right. and reuse your old uprights (assuming they are in good condition). Make sure they are not bent, a lot are. The easiest way to check this is to mount it in a lath by the threaded end and rotate it The tapered ball joint hole should rotate in the same spot ie both ends should be in the same plane.
I get mine from TRF in the USA. I think they are better made. This opinion is based on my experience only.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:14 am 

I have used the TR4 trunions as above. No problems and very pleased with result in conjunction with rack and pinion steering. If you use the TR6 type that have the bolt thru you will lower the front of the car by about 25mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:25 am 

Thanks Brian and Peter.
Looks like the trunions and ball joints are available but the upper control arms are out of stock. That is checking TRF website.
Would you change to the oversize stub axles aswell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:02 am 

Hi Ian,

I fitted the TR4 front suspension including oversized stub axles and am very pleased with the outcome and as Brian says it was a simple conversion.

cheers Gavin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:11 am 

Thanks Gavin. Trying to source parts now. Ian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:59 pm 

Ian
There are lots of bits you can get but if they would be of any advantage depends on what you intend to do with the car. For a good road tourer the TR4 trunions (with the latter control arms) heavy stub axle (yours will be worn for sure) and use the lower inner control arm sleeves and bushes on the uppers in lieu of the rubber ones......do not wast your time with the new rubber ones.
If you are going on the track then that is a whole new ball game.
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:53 pm 

Thanks Brian. No intentions of going to track work. Already got that out of my system with my mas years ago.
I am trying to get the TR4 trunions and upper arms and ball joints. Up graded stub axles due to 5.5 wheels. I have noticed its a bit vague on the road and the brake pedal travel is further than before with the old 4.5 rims. I have already fitted supre pro upper bushes few weeks ago. Problem sourcing yhe upper arms at the moment. Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:08 pm 

Not sure why the brake peddle is now longer than before except there may be more axle flex (brake knock off) with the wider rims (tires). The new stubs will help that.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:41 pm 

My thinking too Brian. Especially after reading a few articles on the subject. Trying to get the parts together. Trying standard vanguard in mel at the moment to see what he has. New axles probably from TRF.
How close to the disc should the steering arm be normally and how close if the arms have been swapped left to right. To get a better ackerman angle. My tyres sound like they are scuffing on hard lock. But I am not sure if they have been swapped side to side yet.