TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:29 pm 

Any long door people out there who can describe, or better have a photo, where the lower door seal attaches on a long door TR2?
My car's doors don't have holes for the clips (new sections I suspect) and the diagrams from Rimmers aren't clear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:24 am 

John
From memory, the long door does not have these seals.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm 

That is what I thought, but the Rimmers diagram indicates they do.
I want to find out for sure before we finish panel alignment and put the paint on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 pm 

It's all a bit vague. The factory workshop manual indicates a seal at the leading edge of the doors starting at TS5251. Piggott makes a loose comment on this. Neither comment on a seal under the door. The Moss US catalogue indicates that the seal under the door applies only to TR3A-B but the Moss UK doesn't comment. The Roadster Factory list all the seals and then notes that these do not apply to long door cars. In the absence of a leading seal what role would a seal inside inside a long door play except to stop water getting out?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:36 am 

I had a look at Rimmer Bros. They state that the clips for the lower door seals only apply after TS5251.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am 

I have been sent extracts of a First Edition TR2 Spare Parts Catalogue. I tried to attach the drawing but the system wouldn't allow it. Suffice to say that on this parts list a seal exists, part no 602210. It is the one that curves down at the front of the door and then runs horizontally to the aft edge of the door. It is glued on.
This is a genuine 1st Ed parts list so is the answer I was after.

PS. I just received these photos showing the location of the seal.

Attachments:
tr2 door seal 1.jpg
tr2 door seal 1.jpg [ 3.04 MiB | Viewed 525 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:57 am 

My 1954 TR2 Long door has a seal that I purchased as a part from Moss. I can take a photo but I have no idea how to post it on here. I can send it to a mobile or email address. Just let me know.
This seal prevents dirt coming up from the road. It clips over the lower door return and seals against the inner sill panel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:01 pm 

Kevin Gulliver wrote:
My 1954 TR2 Long door has a seal that I purchased as a part from Moss. I can take a photo but I have no idea how to post it on here. I can send it to a mobile or email address. Just let me know.
This seal prevents dirt coming up from the road. It clips over the lower door return and seals against the inner sill panel.

Thanks again Kevin. My email is
huon_24@bigpond.com
I have bought a Clark rubber seal which fits marvelously but more info on a potential original one would be great.