TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric Water Pump
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:46 pm 

Cheers all,
I am considering fitting an electric water pump to my TR 3A. I recall Aladdin did this but needed to fit an idler pulley for belt tensioning. Has anyone else fitted one and did they need an additional pulley? Thanks Bill

Post subject: Re: Electric Water Pump
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:08 pm 

Bill
Mal Munro has fitted one but also had to fit an idler. You can get away without one but you will need to retain the original water pump to act as an idler. Just pull the impeller off.
The issue is belt adjustment. The genny/alt pivot point is in line with the crank so very little adjustment is available.
Mine has performed faultlessly now for some 10 years. No bearing, seal, or overheat issues.

Post subject: Re: Electric Water Pump
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:00 pm 

Hi
On Rusty we have run a short belt for just the alternator for over 15 years without a problem Also have a spare long belt that can be put back on the original water pump and alternator in an emergency but have never needed it. Our only problem was with the original alternator which allowed too high a voltage at high revs which would shut down the ewp controller. Problem was solved with an alternator with a regulator that kept the voltage under 14v.
Cheers
Stephen