TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Low oil Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:39 am 

Mal
I am down to grasping at straws, just need to know what straw to grasp.
I know I am going to feel a real goose when I find the obvious cause.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:21 pm 

Well, I have grasp my last straw. Changed the oil filter head complete. No change.
Baring some one coming up with a good thought, it is engine out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:34 am 

I presume that when you replaced the oil it was with your preferred 25W50 Castrol Edge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:52 am 

The oil in it when the problem first surfaced was Edge 25w50. Changed to Valvoline 20w 60. This issue seems to be getting worse. Now the pressure seems to be OK cold but pressure is down to about 25 at 2000RPM after only 3-4Km around home. So oil is not hot but engine is up to temp.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:36 pm 

Have you checked the oil pump?
Like if the bearings are good then the resistance is relatively constant, so perhaps it is the supply that is variable!
If it suddenly happened it could hardly be a bearing or if it was you would probably hear it.

Is the end float on the pump within spec or is it possible a bolt or 2 are a bit loose. Suction restriction or leak on pump?
Easier to check than engine out and even if you pull the engine what are you going to check that you can not check beforehand.

When you changed the filter head, did you re adjust the pressure?
When it is running and down on pressure have you tested to see if adjusting the pressure(spring) makes a difference?
Is there air in the oil line to the gauge?
My problem was rubbish springs. 2 of them.

Just thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:20 pm 

Well...problem fixed.
The cause was one of the most common...Pressure relief valve. How did I miss it, well I did not. It was the second thing I checked....way back. I took the PRV from my spare engine and fitted it. The pressure was lower than it should cold be buit OK. This led me to believe there was still a problem.
I removed the sump to check the bearings and oil pump. The bearings and oil pump checked out good. There was a small issue with the pump but one that would not cause the problem. I fitted a new rotor and spindle anyway.
Problem was still there and over time was getting worse. after changing the complete filter head and fitting the original rocker gear (I use a roller rocker set up) I was down to pulling the engine.
Last night spoke with an old friend in Qld and he suggested applying compressed air to the oil system and listening for an abnormal leak.
Pulled the sump this morning and applied air. There were all levels of hisses but what caught my attention was the bubbles around the oil pump mounting gasket. That should no be. A quick check showed that I had not tightened the pump when I fitted it last time. The nuts were loose by at least one turn. This resulted in about .050 to .060" gap. More than enough to cause the problem and would have been getting looser, hence the problem getting worse.. Tightened them, refitted the sump, filled the oil.
A quick test drive and all is well with the world.
Looking back I realize that I had not used my spare engine for over ten years and had forgot the pressure it run at and assumed the same as the problem one, which was higher than most.
Must be getting old.