TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR3a v Porsche 911
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:29 pm 

So there I was motoring sedately down a two lane suburban street this afternoon when I spied a Porsche ahead, stopped at lights in the inside lane. The Porsche is well known in the area. I suspect the local tyre dealer knows him well gauging by the displays of acceleration I have witnessed. I think there may be hearing problems as he has to create lots of noise so he can hear when it is time to change gear.

I was cruising up in the outside lane watching for the red light to change to green. At about 30 meters from the Porsche I noticed traffic in the cross street was slowing so they were probably seeing orange. At about 15 meters as I slowed in second, the lights changed.

Now I could say the devil made me do it but being an atheist that would not work. I could say my foot slipped but after 40 years driving a TR, not likely. Let's just call it a brain snap brought on by old age.

I FLATTENED IT.

As the Porsche left the intersection in first gear, I went passed at about 40 - 50 kph with the rev counter somewhere on the right side of the dial.

There are images in life that are imprinted on your brain. A certain smile from someone who got Lucas electrics to work; your mother's tears when she heard you were buying a sports car; the look on the local spare parts guy's when you asked for J18Y spark plugs. The look on the Porsche driver's face was one of those images. An almost terminal case of WTF.

He was probably sitting there thinking
"I will show them how a Porsche can accelerate. Everybody, look at me!"
Suddenly there was the roar of another engine in his right ear.
"Is it a Lamborghini? A Ferrari? Maybe a McLaren."
No friends. He had just been done by a sixty year old British sports car.

I played touch football into my late fifties. We had a saying that old and cunning beats young and running. That saying came to mind as I cruised to the next set of lights. I had just blown off a Porsche and never even exceeded the speed limit. How good is that!

As for the Porsche guy. I would imagine he is on the phone to the Porsche dealer to explain he needs to trade up to the new 24 cylinder triple supercharged, electric motor assisted Porsche model because a 1960 TR3a just out dragged his 911. Perhaps I can send him the phone number for Lifeline.

Post subject: Re: TR3a v Porsche 911
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:11 pm 

NevilleT wrote:
So there I was motoring sedately down a two lane suburban street this afternoon when I spied a Porsche ahead, stopped at lights in the inside lane. The Porsche is well known in the area. I suspect the local tyre dealer knows him well gauging by the displays of acceleration I have witnessed. I think there may be hearing problems as he has to create lots of noise so he can hear when it is time to change gear.

I was cruising up in the outside lane watching for the red light to change to green. At about 30 meters from the Porsche I noticed traffic in the cross street was slowing so they were probably seeing orange. At about 15 meters as I slowed in second, the lights changed.

Now I could say the devil made me do it but being an atheist that would not work. I could say my foot slipped but after 40 years driving a TR, not likely. Let's just call it a brain snap brought on by old age.

I FLATTENED IT.

As the Porsche left the intersection in first gear, I went passed at about 40 - 50 kph with the rev counter somewhere on the right side of the dial.

There are images in life that are imprinted on your brain. A certain smile from someone who got Lucas electrics to work; your mother's tears when she heard you were buying a sports car; the look on the local spare parts guy's when you asked for J18Y spark plugs. The look on the Porsche driver's face was one of those images. An almost terminal case of WTF.

He was probably sitting there thinking
"I will show them how a Porsche can accelerate. Everybody, look at me!"
Suddenly there was the roar of another engine in his right ear.
"Is it a Lamborghini? A Ferrari? Maybe a McLaren."
No friends. He had just been done by a sixty year old British sports car.

I played touch football into my late fifties. We had a saying that old and cunning beats young and running. That saying came to mind as I cruised to the next set of lights. I had just blown off a Porsche and never even exceeded the speed limit. How good is that!

As for the Porsche guy. I would imagine he is on the phone to the Porsche dealer to explain he needs to trade up to the new 24 cylinder triple supercharged, electric motor assisted Porsche model because a 1960 TR3a just out dragged his 911. Perhaps I can send him the phone number for Lifeline.

Haha. Karma works!!

Post subject: Re: TR3a v Porsche 911
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:34 am 

Neville....if you lose your hoon you may as well die !!! m.