TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:53 pm 

With reference to the changes to the constitution listed on the web site.
The glaring omission to these changes is a reform to the method where by committee members are elected.
As an ordinary member, who does not have the opportunity to attend the AGM, I have never been asked for my vote on any decision or committee position, state or national.
Except of course this present proposal to change the constitution, however this vote does not include an input into what the changes should be.
I would suggest in order to make the Register a truly notional organisation, not as it is now a NSW club that accepts interstate members, the following changes need to be written into the new constitution.
A three stage process for the election of office bearers:-
1. A call for nominations which would include a schedule of office bearers duties.
2. The publication of the nominees. (details)
3. A voting process that includes all members. (email)

Bernard Doherty.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 pm 

Bernard,
I am hoping I can be of some help with the points you make regarding the shortcomings of the election of the Registers' committee.
Point 1:
It is required that the Register announces details of its AGM. This is done using our magazine, Sidescreen, and using a national email list which sends emails to all but about 15 of our more than 300 strong membership. Incredible! This year, for example, the details of the AGM, along with a request for nominations, were published in Sidescreen issues 91 and 92 and this was backed up by a nationally broadcast email on the 14th of May.
As to descriptions of committee positions requirements, the roles of the Secretary and the Treasurer are noted in the Constitution as there is some regulatory communication with Fair Trading involved. All other positions are pretty well described by their titles and I'm sure any potential committee members would find the incumbents more than happy to speak with them.
In all these communications it was noted that location is not a limiting factor in holding a position, with over half the committee contributing remotely.
Points 2 and 3:
As is usual, another national email is sent close to the date of the AGM in order to allow as many nominations as possible to be published. This year this happened on the 18th of June and contained a list of nominations received by that date and a note that more nominations would still be very welcome.
This email also contains details of how a member can lodge a proxy vote if they wished to do so.

The communications noted above are typical of those sent in the lead up to each AGM. The Register must fulfil obligations to Fair Trading regarding the AGM and new committee members are always encouraged to nominate.

As to your comment that the Register is not a national club, it is, of course, true that John Murn and Alan Mitchell formed the club in NSW and that it is incorporated in NSW, however, I do feel it is worth considering that, following our last AGM, more than half our office bearers contribute electronically and that one third of office bearers are in states other than NSW. If we also take into account the incredible jobs our State and Territory Co-ordinators do for us, and the vast number of members that arrive from all over the country to attend our National Meetings, I feel we can, very proudly, call the TR Register Australia Inc. a national club despite the occasional bump in the road.

As I said, I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Mark Stuckey
(Secretary)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 am 

Thanks Mark and Viv,
Yes the email of the 18th listed nominees against the positions.
The question is were they all the nominees or was the list the preselected candidates.
If in fact they were the only nominees an election process would be a pointless exercise.
I noted when I got the email that it was a step up in the process from previous years.
The point Viv has made about the national registration of the Register should be pursued.
Bernard.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm 

Thank you Bernard.
Unfortunately, that was the entire list of nominees, however, I will not stop asking for more members to nominate!
Of course, you are correct, the election process was very easy as a result. There's always next year.
Mark