TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A bit of luck
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:45 pm 

A noted Triumph man here in Sydney emailed me last week to see if the TR Register would be interested in buying some paperwork for a sidescreen TR that he had been notified about. Included was an original purchase record and TSOA handbook for the car. He attached a few photos, but I called Bob Watters the Historian and said yes before I opened the links.
A bit later that night I opened the links and unbelievably, the documents were for my daily driver BRG TR2. What are the odds?
I will now try to trace the original buyer or his family of the TR2 I've owned for nearly 47 years.

Attachments:
IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg [ 722.51 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]
IMG_1244.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg [ 685.63 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]

Post subject: Re: A bit of luck
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:24 pm 

This morning I rang the only person with the surname in the book who lives in the area where the car was sold new. A man answered the phone and I told him that I owned an old British sportscar and he said "a green Triumph TR2 with the hole in the front".
I have found the 1st owner of my TR2. We chatted for a while and I will drive down this week and reunite him with the car he owned from 1955 until the early 60s when he traded it on a Peugeot 403.
Pretty chuffed at how this has gone.

Post subject: Re: A bit of luck
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:17 pm 

Jim Allen and I drove down to Goulburn yesterday (very chilly drive down in the morning) and met with John Sendall to reunite him with the TR2 he owned from 1955 until 1962.

The TR is running beautifully, and I had given it a wipe over and washed the wheels properly.

John was absolutely delighted, thrilled at being with the car he had cherished as a young bloke. We had morning tea with he and his family, took photos of the car, talked cars and John and I took the TR for a very spirited drive on country roads near his place. He just loved it. The car is in the original colour scheme and he was able to confirm the colours as how he remembered the car.

John has been a car nut since he owned the TR2. He rallied and hill climbed throughout his life. He was Clerk of the Course for historic racing at Wakefield Park circuit for many years and marshalled at many courses. He currently has a 3.4Mk2 Jag (bought new by his dad, never left the family, never restored, beautifully maintained), an Alfa 159 and Peugeot 504.

A thoroughly enjoyable day.

The TR2 did the trip including some hard driving at 32.84mpg.

Attachments:
IMG_1266.jpg
IMG_1266.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 139 times ]