TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TR Logo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:36 pm 

They are 1.75" Diam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:51 pm 

Thanks Brian. I need 40mm diameter. I will try and make one using what I have learned to date, and if it does go pear shaped, will come back to you. Just getting stubborn in my old age.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:09 pm 

Ahhhaaa, I know where your at.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:48 am 

Well, it is all done. Just had to wait for some decent weather in Sydney. So this is how I did it.

I set up a hammer in a vice, and put a flat magnet on top. I adjusted the hammer until it was completely flat using a small level and slivers of timber. I didn't want the resin to set at an angle.

I cut out a 40mm circle from some scrap Colourbond I found at a building site. Printed the logo, cut it out and glued it to the Colourbond. In order to build up a thickness on the badge, I wrapped masking tape around the disk to form a tube. See picture. Poured in the resin mix and applied some heat with one of those cigarette lighter type blowers to remove bubbles. I waited a day for the resin to set. Doing it in humid weather the first two times meant the resin never really went off.

When I removed the tape, the resin had set with a ridge around the tape. Using a fine file I cleaned off the ridge until it was just a small raised ring less than a millimetre high. I finished it off with a nail file thingo. Sort of fine abrasive board file which probably has a technical name but no idea what it is. Buy it in any chemist or supermarket I guess.

After sticking it to the black plastic hub all is done. Looks good and much more personalised than just a black plastic hub in the centre of the wheel. Persistence does pay off. In the end, once I had tried a few things and failed, it turned out to be a simple exercise. You could use the same technique to make everything from bumper badges to cufflinks to hubcap badges.

Attachments:
20220419_150724.jpg
20220419_150724.jpg [ 221.59 KiB | Viewed 305 times ]
20220419_154522.jpg
20220419_154522.jpg [ 234.89 KiB | Viewed 305 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:09 pm 

NevilleT wrote:
Well, it is all done. Just had to wait for some decent weather in Sydney. So this is how I did it.

I set up a hammer in a vice, and put a flat magnet on top. I adjusted the hammer until it was completely flat using a small level and slivers of timber. I didn't want the resin to set at an angle.

I cut out a 40mm circle from some scrap Colourbond I found at a building site. Printed the logo, cut it out and glued it to the Colourbond. In order to build up a thickness on the badge, I wrapped masking tape around the disk to form a tube. See picture. Poured in the resin mix and applied some heat with one of those cigarette lighter type blowers to remove bubbles. I waited a day for the resin to set. Doing it in humid weather the first two times meant the resin never really went off.

When I removed the tape, the resin had set with a ridge around the tape. Using a fine file I cleaned off the ridge until it was just a small raised ring less than a millimetre high. I finished it off with a nail file thingo. Sort of fine abrasive board file which probably has a technical name but no idea what it is. Buy it in any chemist or supermarket I guess.

After sticking it to the black plastic hub all is done. Looks good and much more personalised than just a black plastic hub in the centre of the wheel. Persistence does pay off. In the end, once I had tried a few things and failed, it turned out to be a simple exercise. You could use the same technique to make everything from bumper badges to cufflinks to hubcap badges.

Nice!