TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR Logo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:30 pm 

This must be one for a wet day. I have a smaller diameter steering wheel which has a black plastic centre piece. It is about 60mm diameter but has a recessed circle 40mm diameter in the middle. For years I have thought of putting in a TR logo or badge. I could never find anything that would fit.

I decided to make a 40mm round badge to put on the cap so asked an expert. Professor Google said I could print a logo, cut it to size and coat it in clear resin. Professor YouTube showed me how. I went looking for a logo to download online thinking that was the easy part, but you will be surprised to find there is no blue and white, TR3 logo I can use. I was looking for the shield type one on the front panel with "TR3" at the top. This is an example https://fineartamerica.com/featured/1961-triumph-tr3a-roadster-emblem-jill-reger.html

Online are all photos of badges on various backgrounds and have highlights on one side, shadows, and a background I don't want. I actually spent about half an hour (it is raining) to remove the background pixel by pixel but it is not really great. Does anyone have the artwork for a logo? If you do, a copy would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: TR Logo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:00 pm 

This is what I am after only in colour.

Attachments:
2022-02-24_175817.jpg
2022-02-24_175817.jpg [ 10.66 KiB | Viewed 775 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:24 am 

Since not much happening on the forum, thought I would provide a running commentary.

With the help of an online image and Microsoft Publisher, I came up with a logo. Not exactly what I wanted but it will do. I printed it and did a first trial of coating it with resin. I cut out the 40mm circle and used double sided tape to put it on top of a medicine bottle which had a smaller diameter. I mixed up some resin, and using a plastic teaspoon dripped it on the paper. The resin spread evenly and formed a meniscus at the edge so you had a layer about 1-2 mm thick. I then used a small cigarette lighter flame to get rid of bubbles. It has been setting for about 18 hours but is still not completely hard. In fact it is a bit bendy. I read someone say it took 2 days for the resin to harden up.

The result is not good enough to use. A couple of problems. Double sided tape is not great. The paper on the back of the badge was damaged when I tried to get it off. Not enough to tear all the way through but it does have some marks that can be seen through the paper. The other problem is the paper is not flat. Perhaps the paper was too thin to start with, or maybe the resin warped the paper. I might need to use thicker paper, or stick the paper to cardboard.

I have plenty of resin. I bought 750ml for $30 online. Since it was my first purchase from the site (DIYComposites) they gave me $10 off and I split it into four payments of $5 so hardly likely to break the bank.

Attached is the image I used. Will publish the next episode when I try again.

Attachments:
TRLogoCircle.jpg
TRLogoCircle.jpg [ 10.83 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:46 pm 

Hi Neville. Google. "Zazzle car badges create your own" All different sizes. Don't know if it helps. but....Terry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:14 pm 

Thanks Terry. Checked them out and nothing I could use. I did see a T Shirt
"You can't spell TRIUMPH without TRUMP" complete with pictures of the orange alien.
Put me right off. Imagine TRs being associated with him. I am totally disillusioned. See For Sale section for my car.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:10 pm 

Neville....TR4 s' have a badge in the S/wheel which may suit....check on line at Moss or elsewhere...It's also raining in Melbourne where I currently am ....I may even have a 4 badge at home & will check upon return....mal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:34 pm 

Thanks Mal. I did a first trial and know what I have to do to make a good quality badge. Just waiting for some dry weather. It took 3 days for the resin to go off. For the next one I have printed onto thicker paper, and will use a low tack solution to hold it level and in place. All an adventure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:03 pm 

Neville.
Try www.capricorn1.co.uk

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:18 pm 

Interesting site Brian. I had not seen it before. Unfortunately they do not give sizes although I could contact them and ask.

I am on a bit of a mission to make my own. The last one where I put resin straight on a piece of paper didn't work as the paper buckled. Probably tomorrow, I am going to stick a piece of paper to a disk of colourbond and see how that works. Plenty of resin and no time pressure so interested to find out a suitable method.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:38 pm 

I use one for my steering wheel center. I had to buy a set of 4 when I got them on ebay so have three left over. You can have one if it would be useful.