TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shocks and springs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:19 pm 

I fitted new register shocks to my TR3A last sept prior to the Albury trip. These have now failed after only 4000 miles.
Luckily I had recently purchased a set of original second hand shocks from another member these are now fitted and working well.
I also found out that the springs fitted to the car after the rebuild in 2009 had been reset original springs. Some how non genuine front bushes had been fitted which were too big on the shaft allowing for and aft movement and also allowed the spring to move sideways on the bush due to poor fitting in the springs eye.
After cutting out a section of the underbody on each side just behind the body mounting bracket, to remove the springs due to stuck fast eye pins .
I have now been able to fit new register springs with an extra 5th leaf from the old springs. Plus a 5mm axle lifting block or body lowering block this has given a reasonable body height and extra load carrying capabilities super pro rear bushes are also fitted. I now have 5.5" 72 spoke wires fitted with 205/65R15 dunlop sport tyres.
Cutting out the section proved a lot easier than hours trying to remove the rusted in pins which were new in 2008. Or lifting the body up off the chassis to allow the springs to be dlid off the pins. I can now change the springs any time I wish with the minimum of fuss. I painted the inside of the channel where I could reach and taped up the section I had removed to stop water entering the channels. The bit removed would not cause any issues as it is behind the body mount bracket. So a good fix in my opinion.
Over all the car looks better and now handles like it should.

Post subject: Re: Shocks and springs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:22 pm 

Update
The second hand shock on the left started leaking so not a good result really. I have now ordered from NOSIMPORTS in the US a set of adjustable rebuilt lever arms. I'll report how they go with costings etc once they arrive in a few weeks or so

Post subject: Re: Shocks and springs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 am 

The new shocks are on the way from NOS Imports. Looking forward to fitting and trying them in a week or so.