TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear Axle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:03 pm 

My 3A has developed a leak on the left rear hub. This will mean at least new brake linings and seals. I read that one needs a Churchill puller and/or a 60 ton press particularly if the bearing needs to be replaced. I see that the Register stocks the seals but nothing else. Any comments like who has the tools and the knowledge. Best places to buy bearings, hub, axle if needed. It's all a dark matter because about five years ago I lost a rear wheel and the exposed axle slammed a gutter sideways and we wait to see if there's major faults. Any comments welcome.

Post subject: Re: Rear Axle
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:50 pm 

If its oil that has leaked onto the brakes it will be the inner axel seal, its there to keep the oil in the diff. The hub seal is to keep the grease in the bearing so if the bearing is ok you won't need to take the hub off the axel. when you pull the axel check the seal surface for wear, it may need a speedy sleave so that the new seal will do its job.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:07 pm 

Gharris wrote:
it may need a speedy sleave so that the new seal will do its job.

Graham

Not sorry if I offend the purists here but you can just fit two oils seals. Yes inevitably there will be a groove from the oil seal on the axle in a car of the age.
I got two from a company called B.J Bearings in 2009 for the princely sum of $15.03, tight as a drum since.
The description is 1.375*2.000*0.375 IMP Oil Seal. The width of two of these is the same as the original.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:51 pm 

Terry
When you change the seal, and as suggested it may only be the oil (axle) seal, make sure you check and set the axle end float. If it is excessive then the seal will most likely leak again. It may also be the cause of the current leak. Check it before you pull it apart if it is not already apart.
I put an article in Sidescreen a while ago on this subject that may be helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:18 am 

Just to add some more comments. Use vee blocks and dial indicator to check for bent axle. Check behind the wheel cylinder boot just in case its brake fluid not gear oil, (taste test, not recommended but brake fluid is bitter as). Check diff oil is not over filled, easy to do if you jack the back of car up. Car should be level when checking oil. Check breather for blockage which causes pressure build up. And as Brian says, taper roller bearing means excessive end float will cause excessive radial play. Let me know if you need the hub removed from axle. All the best!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 pm 

Thank you all for your comments and a couple of phone calls. It is work in progress. I don't know about all of this. I took the car up to the garage two weeks ago for a compression test. They finally rang to ask why the car was there. Oh, yes. It does have a burnt valve as I suspected. I won't let them put in a new oil seal. I want the car back for Adelaide.