TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:09 pm 

After 45 years owning my largely unmodified daily driver TR2 I fitted a front sway bar.
The steering does seem more precise (I assume it reduces movement in the front suspension) and it has improved front end stability in tight bends.
Not a fantastic change but a very noticeable improvement. Worth doing.

Post subject: Re: FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:19 pm 

I am in the same position with my 3a. Often thought about putting on a roll bar. Where did you get it, and what did it cost?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:48 pm 

NevilleT wrote:
I am in the same position with my 3a. Often thought about putting on a roll bar. Where did you get it, and what did it cost?

Hi Nev, it came with my long door TR2. I'm leaving that car as original so considered selling the bar and then decided to fit it to the daily driver. It needed brackets welded on and some parts so I had David Clark do it for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:01 pm 

The two biggest changes to handling on my TR was to replace the cross ply tyres with radials and to put on the front sway bar. Had a smaller dia bar for years then changed to a 21mm bar now. Had a rear sway bar but on tight corners it lifts wheels while a pan hard rod works well but the way the connections are made need to be well engineered. Mine was not done well by a suspension place and I removed it. Guess I am slowing down with age, that’s me not the car. R

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:49 pm 

My 3 has one specified for a competition MGA, fitted about 35 years ago. I seem to remember it stopped the car cornering in a series of straight lines on roundabouts. It attaches with drop links to nearly the end of the front lower suspension member and a sump/front chassis guard. Only problem I have ever had is running over, an already dead, Wombat, which broke one of the drop links.