TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:54 am 

Hi all

Due to the discovery of a crack in the body of my fuel pump I have decided an electric fuel pump might be a good idea. The question is where and how to mount it. Any suggestions would be welcome. I have read previous posts and it looks like I will go with the Ecco pump through the online auto parts web site.

Colin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:50 pm 

That should solve the oil leak.

The Ecco is not a compact one but one suggestion is mount it on a bracket attached to the blanking plate you use to cover the hole left by the old fuel pump That would provide a simplicity in plumbing and an easy place to run the power supply and not require drilling any holes in the engine/car. The only potential problem would be that it would be subject to engine vibration but if the pump is any good it should not be a issue.

I would strongly recommend a electric emergency shut off valve that would prevent it pumping fuel in the case of an accident. There are inertia shut off valves suitable that are used in LPG powered cars but I cant give you any details. Check with your local LPG service center.

You could use an oil pressure switch but you need to wire it so that it would also be powered by the starter button to enable it to provide starting fuel when there is no oil pressure. This would not be as simple as the LPG valve as fitting and oil pressure switch on a TR engine is not straight forward as there are not any suitable drillings in the block.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:26 am 

Ecco pump is a better pusher than sucker. Mine is mounted at the back under the tank. I also wired it through an inertia cut off switch from same supplier. Have used same system on previous TR, VW Kombi, MK2 Jag and current TR with no problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:51 am 

Not sure a gravity feed Ecco pump would have any issue pumping enough fuel for the TR but down the back is the most common place and out of the way. I have found the clacking of the pump a bit annoying when it is down the back but that is being picky and I do not know how much noise the Ecco makes.
All my fuel feed system is down the back under the occasional seat but it includes high and low pressure pumps, HP/LP filters, and swirl pot. I have to jack the car up and remove the wheel to get at it. If it could be fitted under the bonnet then servicing it ( checking fuel connections) would be much easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:13 am 

Ecco pump only pumps on demand like the electric SU but is electronic wth no contacts. I can just hear the pump pulse while priming the carbs but no noise in running operation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:34 pm 

I have never worked with n Ecco so that is good to know. Sounds like a good option if mine ever fails.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:40 pm 

Hi Peter

When you say the pump was mounted under the tank are you talking under body in the cavity in front of the diff? I have a TR2 so the space in this area is a bit restricted compared to later models. Do you think I would be still able to mount it there? What size is the Ecco pump?

I have seen what appears to be a compact pump on the Midel web site which has good reviews. Do you have knowledge of these?

Thanks for the other suggestions Aladdin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:07 pm 

i first put one on a TR2 under the boot floor to the side of the wheel well. It is still working 100% after 15years.
Also fitted inertia cut off switch under the bonnet. $28 from online auto i used the 15LM12 pump $80
I also put a small filter between the tank and the pump.
My 3a is away for cosmetic restoration to the frobnbt apron so unable to photgraph.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:59 pm 

That sounds like a plan. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:39 pm 

Try REPCO for their Fuelmiser Universal FPE 136 in line pump at $85.00
I have used on for 12 years without any issues until it blocked up with dissolved rubber from inlet fuel line.
I use an inline inlet filter, which in this case was also clogged so lack of maintenance?
Mine is also fitted under the tank near the diff but a 3A does have more room here.
These are cheap enough and very compact to I carry a spare pump.

here is a link:
https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-servi ... el%20pumps.

Rob