TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:40 pm 

On the run this weekend to Chris Olson's I had an unusual issue with the od.

We drove up to Chris's, about 150 miles of high speed and traffic driving. No problems and parked the car under cover for the weekend.

This morning we went to the Tarana pub following Chris on various country roads.

About 10 minutes into the drive I thought I felt a momentary od dropout. Could have been a bump. Kept going with the od working fine even on bumps.

A few minutes later I noticed the amps gauge reading a few amps -ve. I went to disengage the od and and it wouldn't drop out. Down a hill, into neutral, turned the engine off for a few seconds and restarted. The amps gauge recovered to normal but the od was still engaged. It stayed engaged for the next 45 minutes over some very rough roads. It was engaged in all gears including 1st and didn't drop out when changing gears.

I assumed the solenoid had seized, maybe burnt out, in the up position.

Get to the pub and I feel under the car and pull the lever down. The solenoid didn't click down but the actuating arm did move.

I assumed the od was still engaged so decided that I'd have lunch and then drive back the 130 miles without using reverse.

After lunch drove off and the od had disengaged. Once I was over the Blue Mountains and on the M4 I reengaged the od and it worked fine all the way home.

The solenoid is maybe 20 years old.

?????

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:36 pm 

Problems continued (although the od did not stay engaged again) so I pulled the tunnel off.
The solenoid wire was very brittle and broke off almost at a touch.
The bullet connector to the solenoid was poor as were a few other connectors.
Installed a new solenoid (thanks Ray), replaced the bullet connector to the solenoid with a more robust connector, cleaned up all the other connections.
Tested on axle stands and seemed ok. A 20 minute test drive including over some bumpy sections and seems ok.
Weather permitting I'll test it tomorrow on the run to Pie in the Sky.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 pm 

The run to Pie in the Sky completed without any od problems.
A very good turnout today with 5 TRs making the run in very poor weather plus a fair few others in more refined cars.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:57 pm 

Pleased that it has resolved.