TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STEERING DELRIN BUSHES
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:40 pm 

I am after a set of Delrin bushes and have just had a minor coronary when I saw Moss have them at $96.95 US plus postage, probably another $40 US.
Would anybody have some they don't need I could buy at cost, or a different supplier (I'll call The Healey Factory tomorrow)?
Cheers John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:31 pm 

Hi John. According to invoices I bought a set of Silentbloc bushes in 1995. Never fitted so not used. As I've converted to R&P you are welcome to come over and pick them up. By the way: Is that the bushes you are after or are you after the upgrade that Moss are offering?
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:39 pm 

Thanks Jim. I do have a set of silentbloc bushes, like you I bought them and have had them sitting around.

Talking with Bob Slender the other day he suggested the Delrin bushes Moss sells are worth the money and I figure if I fit Delrin ones now I'll never have to dismantle the steering again.

I have just seen that Revington have phosphorous bronze bushes to replace the silentbloc. Has anybody used or have an opinion on them?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 pm 

Thanks Viv. The Revington ones aren't much more than the Moss ones. Moss $US95 plus postage, Revington 64pds Sterling and as I need a Revington steering box top there will be minimal postage on the bushes.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:16 pm 

I can supply either type bush@modefied top plate ring me on 07 38290513

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:16 pm 

I have installed the Revington Phosphor bronze bushes including the necessary grease nipples into a spare centre steering rod. They are all ready to go and will be installed once the existing silentbloc bushes are knackered. Won't be long if I keep doing 1000 miles a weekend like this weekend to Winton.
While down at Winton I spoke with Mike Heaton who has installed phosphor bronze bushes (not Revington but the same design) on his 3A which he uses on the road as well as the track. He tells me they take a bit of fiddling to get right as they have no give for misaligned steering and idlers like the rubber silentbloc ones.
Once installed he says they are excellent. Direct and light sterring, no play, last forever and most importantly he says there is no additional vibration through the steering.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:34 pm 

I have just installed the centre steering rod with the Revington phosphor bronze bushes. Along with the rebuilt steering box and Revington top plate the steering setup is as good as it could be.
It took a few hours to install the new bushes in the steering rod and fit the grease nipples and about 90 minutes to remove the old one and fit the rebuilt one.
The silentbloc bushes have give in them that can accommodate a bit of misalignment in the steering box/idler block. The new ones have no give but all it required was to loosen the idler and work the steering side to side to recentre the idler and tighten it up. I didn't loosen the steering box as it all seemed to settle into position without it. With the front wheels off the ground the steering is even through the full range.
I took her around the block, a couple of hard left turns and roundabouts and then a run over the Roseville bridge on the sweeping and varying radius bends. Although the steering was already quite good the new bushes have made it noticeably lighter at slow speeds such as on roundabouts and more direct through chicanes etc. It needs another wheel alignment but tracked very nicely in the bends over the bridge.
All up a good investment at $130 and a few hours work. The steering now should last me out without further maintenance, apart from a grease occasionally. Glen, or maybe his offspring, will do the next steering rebuild in another 60 years.