TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:54 pm 

Earlier this year I had problems with the electronic ignition, the engine started missing in the mid 3000 rev range. I replaced the plugs, coil (with a spare Register one I carry), distributor cap and leads without success. Brian spent considerable time helping me to sort it out resulting in him rebuilding the distributor. This didn't fix the problem so we put the points back in and the engine performed well. I suspect the original and replacement coils, both standard Register ones, might have been the culprit.

I rarely take the car above the low 4000 rev mark. This week I gave her a run in 2nd and she started missing at about 4300 revs. Basically it runs well up to the point it starts missing and then just won't go any further up the range. She blows a fair bit of black smoke when the engine misses. Below 4300 she runs very nicely, accelerating strongly, pulling smoothly in overdrive from low revs and cruising at 80-120 kmh without fuss.

I suspect the earlier problem with the electronic ignition module is related to this problem. Could it be the coil, or would the brains trust suggest something else?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:15 pm 

Step 1 ,replace the condensor. Mine missed above 4000 rpm all the way to Toowoomba. Seeing as it was going so well I let it be but ultimately I was visiting at Ballina and I knew a mechanic and left it with him. It's never missed a beat since. I was told that if you replace the condensor and that doesn't work, replace it with another condensor. The suggestion is that the new condensors are not always good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:03 pm 

Thanks Terry. Condensor it was, now revs through to 4800 which is as high as I wish to go.