TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A type overdrive oil
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:27 pm 

I recently read an item in the TR UK Register forum on this subject and Vivdownunder stated that a comprehensive study was conducted on the use of Castrol VMX80 gear oil which found it to be the best product for the A type. Can any one tell me where i mite find this research article?
My overdrive became intermittent after i toped it up with the new replacement Penrite 80W90 which is a GL5 oil and when i changed all the oil with this new one i found there was no oil presser at the operating valve. On closer inspection i could see an air bubble from what looked like every stroke of the oil pump and when i run it up on the bench there isn't enough pressure to engage the OD. So for some unknown reason Penrite don't recommend a GL4 gear oil for the TRs and at this stage that is the only reason i can come up with for the unit to fail.
They do have a Pro Gear 75W85 GL4 oil and a Gear oil GB30 of GB40 GL1 oil which is what was originally recommend for the TRs

Graham

Post subject: Re: A type overdrive oil
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:30 pm 

I will not comment on Penrite oil on this forum but I understand that because of the gold metal in the TR box, a GL5 is not recommended.

One of my old contacts(an engineer) at Castrol advised me that VMX80 was the best oil and I have used it now for about 5 years with no issue. He advised that the VMX80 could be used as an engine oil although it would not be your first choice because it is formulated as a gear oil. Engine oil was in fact recommended in the first instance by Standard and as such I feel very comfortable with the VMX80.

You will not find VMX80 recommended by Castrol on their web site but he advised that was the case as it is much dearer than the oil recommended that meets the manufacturers specs.

Any box that I have been involved with now use VMX80 with no known issues.

I would also like to read this article.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:46 pm 

Thanks Aladdin,

I am waiting for a new oil pump to arrive tomorrow and will reassemble using the castor VMX80 oil , its good to get a recommendation from someone who has used the product. Will report back when its a goer.
Graham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:34 pm 

Hello Graham,
Coming in a bit late here, my advice is to use a good quality non synthetic engine oil.(20w40). Thicker oils can have trouble being pumped and also going through the small orifice in the operating valve on release. The pump has such a short effective stroke, that unless in very good condition, will just have a negative pressure action with no pumping. A long time ago, I used SAE 90 that caused it to stop working, changed back to engine oil and fixed it. Hope this helps! Kind Regards!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:56 pm 

Rob
That sound about right. The VMX80 is equivalent to the engine oil but formulated as a gear oil.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:27 pm 

Well the new pump and plunger arrived from Moss and i fitted it today,i filled it up with the Castrol VMX80 oil and ran it up on the bench and it works like it should.

I probably should have tried the new oil before ordering the new pump but at that stage i was clutching at straws ,so now i will never know if it was the oil or the pump but regardless it works thats the main thing. The fact that it became intermittent before finally giving up the ghost and the only thing i did was change the oil indicates that was the problem.

Thanks for all your help and advice

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:41 pm 

I just took the TR for a road test with the Castrol VMX80 oil in the box and i can report that the OD engages smoothly in second third and forth, easy shift into second gear from cold and no rattles in the shifter I'm very pleased with the result.

Regards Graham