TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing drive side
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:33 pm 

Hello,
I have just about finished restoring my TR7 (don'y hold that against me), and I'm really keen to get hold of a TR2 or TR3 restoration project, but they are proving very hard to find. The US appears to be about the only place where reasonable projects can be found. You have probably guessed my question: is converting from LHD to RHD doable and realistic in terms of parts availability? If the answer is a "yes" I'll be asking for your advice on key issues to look for when deciding on a purchase and if there are recommended dealers in the US.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Post subject: Re: Changing drive side
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:23 pm 

John McCormack knew of a TR2 in Sydney that needed complete restoration after being kept in a container for over 30 years. I wonder if he knows if it is still waiting for someone to buy it. If not otherwise the TR Register UK is always full of talk about cars coming from the US to the UK for restoration and driver's side change over. Well worth while going onto their site and having a look.
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:20 pm 

Jim Allen wrote:
John McCormack knew of a TR2 in Sydney that needed complete restoration after being kept in a container for over 30 years. I wonder if he knows if it is still waiting for someone to buy it. If not otherwise the TR Register UK is always full of talk about cars coming from the US to the UK for restoration and driver's side change over. Well worth while going onto their site and having a look.
Cheers
Jim

Thanks Jim, I think John is making enquiries about the TR2 on my behalf. I'll have a look at the UK site.
Regards,
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:44 pm 

The Register members who were scouting around for me should see your post here. Hopefully they will let you know what is available here in Oz directly to you. If I get any firm leads I'll let you know.
Cheers John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:46 pm 

tr7v8mike wrote:
Jim Allen wrote:
Cheers
Jim

Thanks Jim, I think John is making enquiries about the TR2 on my behalf. I'll have a look at the UK site.
Regards,
Mike

Unfortunately that car isn't available, the owner is planning on getting it on the road. As I noted in this chain a couple of other people had responded to my email request so if they get back to me I'll let you know. Hopefully they will see these posts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:29 pm 

Hi mike
I know of a couple give me a call and we can chat John 0419880075

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:18 pm 

I do not know of any available resto projects without being unkind to any individual.

Conversion to RHD is fairly simple. Dash (could be hard to find but not impossible), searing box (available) throttle peddle (hard to get but can be fabricated) brake and clutch peddle (hard to come by but available) some changes to wiring, tacho and speedo cable (available). These cars were made to be RHD or LHD with minimum changes and are one of the easiest conversions. No modifications to the body, chassis, or mechanics. only the dash, steering and peddles. All the required brackets etc required are on both RHD and LHD, so it is really only a matter of unbolting one component and fitting another one...no welding, cutting, or machining.

Think that is about all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:19 pm 

Pedals are interchangeable , they say the clutch may need to be reshaped slightly but i left my setup as it was. I did get a right hand set from
trbits in the UK but they looked the same to me so i didn't use them.
Graham