TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:49 pm 

Does anyone have a fix for the sloppy joint between the vertical link and the trunion. I have fitted a new vertical link and a new trunion. Only to find it has the same sloppyness as the old ones. I just got two new trunions from the club and find they two are very sloppy when threaded onto the vertical link. It appears the tolerance between the threads is way too great. When they are bench tested they all show a similar movement.
My main issue is when braking you can hear and feel the clunk movement in the front end. Both in reverse and forward braking. This noise and feeling was not there when the top control arms were in there original position when I got the car. However there was quite a lot of preload on the vertical link to trunion joint as the top balljoint had to be moved 1/4" to line it up with the vertical link. I think this preload prevented the movement in the threaded joint . But the car would not self centre when cornering. With the preload removed the self centreing works well but leaves the clunking noise when breaking. Filling the threaded joint helped slightly until worked the grease out after a few brake applications. Then the clunk was back.
I have ensured all other bolts etc are tight and the wheel bearings adjusted correctly. No movemnt in brake caliper or the wheel splines.
When the top ball joint is diconnected only, the vertical link can be moved approx 4 to 5 mm which was measured up near the top ball joint. This movement is wholly in the threaded joint between the vertical link and the trunion
Any ideas guys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:11 am 

Thanks Viv. Yes I thought the tolerance should be a lot better than I have found. I will pop them in the car and take them with me to Temora. Ian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:08 pm 

Hello Ian,
I doubt the clunk is coming from the trunnion to link joint, it being a load carrying joint. More likely coming from some where else, like inner bushes (check these using a pry bar) or more likely, wheel splines assuming you have wires. Contrary to some opinions, wheel spinners need to be knock on very tight, especially if they are worn. Also use minimal grease on the splines and no grease on the larger inner taper, wipe those with a clean rag and metho. In my experience, 4 to 5 mm free play measured at the top of the link, is normal. Hope this helps.
Cheers, rob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:48 pm 

Ian and I discussed this on the Temora run. From our discussion I think Ian is right as to where the clunk is coming from.
I had a similar problem when I bought a new idler assembly from the Register a couple of years ago. The ones in the car had been there for 30 or so years and had a bit of play so I decided to change them while I did the steering box.
The new ones had more play in the thread than the 30 year old ones so I refitted the old ones which are still in the car.
I got a refund on the ones I bought.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am 

Hi Rob
I have cleaned the splines and wires as you have suggested and tightened them what I consider overtight. It didnt make any difference to the clunk noise.
The control arm upper and lower bushes are all good and not very old. They have only done 4000 miles since they were replaced on the the rebuild by Ray in 2009.
I am pretty sure its in the trunion to vertical link threaded joint. On a bench test this morning using my old vertical link the old trunion has 105 thou movement. The two new trunions have 65 and 75 thou movement. I understand the old vertical link is worn. But I would have thought there would be more difference between the old and the new ones. Plus 10 thou difference in the new ones is a bit suss as they should be the same. I will keep looking. Ian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:50 pm 

Hi all
I have just undone the top ball joint and measured the movement by dial indicator between the trunion and vertical link. Surprise surprise there is 200 thou movement. Both of these items were brand new prior to the Albury trip when the noise started after they were fitted. I will be sending them both back to the register for a refund and refit my old ones.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:27 pm 

Hi Ian,

Is that right, 200th about 5mm radial movement in the thread, 2 pointer rotations on your dial indicator? I'm surprised it could carry any load at all.
I have my Tr4 dismantled at the moment, just went out and took some measurements. I get, using a dial indicator, 18th radial movement at the thread (no grease in joint) and about 120th at the top of the link. Mine are old trunnions, possibly original.
Definitely put the old ones back in!

Cheers, Rob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 pm 

Hi Rob
Yes it was two revolutions of the needle on my dial indicator. Pretty scarey.
I have put the old trunion back in with the new 6 month old vertical link. With that combination I got 025 thou at the top. So thats much better. Clunk noise has reduce to about 10% of what it was. So pretty definate the culprit was the new trunion I fitted to it 6 months ago. I will take all three trunions back to Ray and let him know what has happened. Thanks for your input. Ian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:41 pm 

Hello Ian,

Just an after thought, I have a pair of trunnions off our '3A I could lend you or just buy me a beer some time. I replaced them with 3 degree trunnions, which made a big improvement in reducing under steer. An improvement worth considering but you'll also need Tr4-6 top arms and ball joint. The ones off the '3A are in quite good order and it's what I did the measurements on with the Tr4 links.
Let me know if you want them.

Cheers, Rob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:07 am 

Hi Rob
Thats a generous offer. If you want to send them to me to check out please do.
6 Rouse Ave Cambewarra NSW 2540
I will bench test them to see what movement they have and then let you know what I find. Regards Ian