TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Australian Plate
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:46 pm 

Can any tell me where this plate was mounted. I think it was on the bulkhead probably hidden by the battery but it's a while since I removed it and I can't be sure as I can't find a matching pair of holes. TR1954 doesn't have one so I can't check John's car either.
Getting closer and am hoping to be able to drive it down to Tasmania for the concours. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Cheers
Jim

Attachments:
Oz plate.jpg
Oz plate.jpg [ 43.59 KiB | Viewed 3142 times ]

Post subject: Re: Australian Plate
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:58 pm 

Viv, what was the plate for and why is it fitted to some cars and not others. Neither of my TR2s has one and while TR1954 has a replacement battery box the long door car is still original.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:32 am 

[quote="vivdownunder"]John, it was fitted to about 110 x TR3s assembled in Melbourne from CKD kits circa 1956. Australian assembled TR3s had an additional plate, normally with DTR prefix followed by a batch/car number. Pale yellow TR3 DTR8860 now in Qld was the first. Allan W's red TR3 in Sydney is another example.

Jim's Australian plate is unusual - I haven't seen one with that letter/number sequence before.

Rgds,

Viv[/quote
I believe Jim's car is a late TR2. More questions I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:43 am 

Thanks John for continuing the discussion. Just to throw on a little more light.
According to its birth certificate TS 7062 'O' was built on the 1st of July,1955 with the destination being Melbourne. Did they all come in as CKDs?
When I bought it in 1964 it had been repainted and reupholstered (time later showed some bad body work repairs etc so presumably some sort of accident caused this change.
At the time of my purchase it had chromed bonnet and boot hinges and metal wing beading even though most of these came with the change to the TR3.
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:39 pm 

Hi Viv,
Thanks for that info. All v. interesting. It's definitely B0 45 S - R. I'll keep looking for filled in holes. I definitely took the plate off after any repairs to the battery box. It would position extremely well just above the large commission plate so I may end up putting it there if I can't find any other logical place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:12 am 

Viv is correct in the positioning of the plate. My plate says TR 077 but on my main (large) plate it is stamped TR 088 and of course it has a prefix DTR then the serial number. Jim do you have numbers on your large plate ?.your plate just adds to the oddities of the Australian assembled cars. Johnno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:04 am 

Hi John,
Large plate has top line TriumphSports 20 TR2 and commission number of TS 7062 O.
Would you be able to send me a photo of the area above the battery box showing the brass plates and the Oz plate. Maybe I've put the brass plate slightly too far to the left and used a hole that belonged to the Oz plate. If only I'd taken a photo before removing them.
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:12 pm 

Hi Jim. You can check out my photos on the front page of the website and give me a call and we will chat. I suspect something is not quite right with your plates. 0419880075 john.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 pm 

Hi John,
Yes I saw the photos the other evening. Very impressive I must say. I can see you only have the Oz plate. The difference is that mine had both brass plates as well which fits in with what Viv said. Mine seems to be unusual in having the three plates. I guess somebody will come up with a solution eventually. In the meantime I'll just wait.
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:55 pm 

For what is worth; my '58 TR3A has a normal UK Birth Certificate but immediately above the 'Type 20 TR3' plate is a rectangular plane metal plate (63 x 16mm) which is stamped 'TR 067'. This plate was on the car when I purchased it in 1963 when it was in original condition (and it generally still is). So my question is; is this a CKD car?