TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thrust race noise
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 am 

Thanks Jim. I will take you up on the kind offer. I have a spare low mileage pressure plate so with those bits and a new drive plate I should be ok.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:39 am 

You can drill in to the fork from the other side with a smaller drill than the pin and drive the broken part with a drift.
I use two large roll pins on my forks. That fixes the problem.
A broken pin does not normally lead to a failed pressure plate but never say never.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:13 pm 

Thanks Brian.
The operating shaft was badly worn and the fork taper hole is probably warped so I cut through the shaft and will use Jim Allen's new parts.
I will also cross drill the fork and use a roll pin.
Ray K tells me he is out of clutch plates.
I replaced the entire clutch about 8-10 years ago due to a noisy thrust race. The clutch we removed was very low mileage and the mechanic told me to keep the pressure and driven plates as they were in good condition.
The clutch plate measures .340" thick (the one I removed yesterday was .330" thick and is clearly far more worn than the low mileage one).
Does anybody have a new clutch plate they could measure and let me know the thickness please. If the spare one isn't much worn I will reuse it rather than throw it away and wait until the new ones come in.
If it has worn a fair bit I'll wait for a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 pm 

I have had this problem in the past and you can rotate the fork enough to drill a hole from the other side and get a punch in there and tap the broken pin out. I also fitted a roll pin as a backup, it's not a job you want to do too often.

Graham

Sorry didn't see the above replies until i had posted

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:42 pm 

An upddate.

The fork and shaft are cross drilled for the roll pin and I have the rest of the parts from Ray.

When I install the operating shaft and attach the fork using the standard screw in pin the shaft/fork move freely for the full travel. If I put the locating bolt in the right hand end of the shaft, it takes some fiddling to get it in, it restricts the shaft rotation to the point the clutch won't work. It appears the cut out on the operating shaft for the locating bolt is very slightly out of position

The locating bolt that came out when I dismantled it was worn away in the area the shaft rubs on it. I tried grinding a little bit more off the bolt but without success. I could grind more of the bolt away but that doesn't give me a good feel.

What would happen if I leave the operating shaft locating bolt out?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:21 pm 

With phone advice from Terry Goodall and the physical assistance of Aladdin and Bob Slender the clutch and box have been installed.
A 30km test drive yesterday and the clutch is remarkable. I'm not sure how long the clutch had a broken fork pin but I suspect prior to the last clutch change 6 years ago, done by a mechanic and he didn't note the broken pin/loose fork. He might not have realised it was a problem.
Anyway, it is smooth and quiet.