TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:01 am 

I thought the article by Rob Bradford in the latest Sidescreen was a great idea. Not long ago I had an overheating issue when a thermostat on the electric fan failed. It was more by luck I managed to stop before cooking the motor. I was going to put the temp sensor on my car but ran into a few problems.

Firstly he mentioned the sensor was available from RS Components. I went online and they do not seem to have them listed. Has the club cleaned them out? The only option I could find was from the US. Allied Electronics and Automation. There does seem to be a CA-225 model around from some other sources but all US based.

When I looked at the model there is a CA200 model which opens at 200 degrees. The description says
"Thermostat; 1/2 in Disc; Auto-Reset; Close on Rise; Close at 200 F; Open at 170F"
I guess this means if you rig up a light, it is on until 170 degrees. Am I missing something? Could not find a 220 degrees model.

Would also be interested in how Rob has set up his low oil pressure warning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:20 pm 

Basically one needs a switch which closes at the required temp, say 200F. This will then turn on a LED or alarm/horn, which will then go off at 170F. Use the RS Stock Number 111-7176

As for the oil pressure switch I bought a standard 10PSI unit from supercheep and made an adaptor to screw it into one of the plugged holes in the main gallery. Use a steel fitting not brass as you need to re-thread one end UNC to match the thread in the gallery.

I then used earth from both temp and oil switches to an LED in dash which had the power to one side so I did not have live wires all over the place.
I can send you more details if you would like them.
Cheers
Rob
fingoon2@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:28 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. I managed to get one of the temp sensors mentioned by Rob and have already fitted that.

For the oil, I found a few bits online.
- The 10psi sender was straight forward. I got one that is 1/4 BSP.
- Then found a T piece which is female 2 x 3/8 NFC AND 1 x 1/4 BSP. (Aeroflow AF386 which is from Global Performance in WA) I am putting that between the flex hose and the fixed pipe for the oil gauge.
- Final piece is a 3/8 NFC male both ends, joiner which I will screw into the T. Waiting for the last bit to arrive.

Will let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:29 pm 

All arrived off the internet and fitted. Working without a problem. The oil light comes on when I turn on the ignition and goes out when I start the motor. Only minor glitch was that the Tee fitting had a tapered seat which was the same taper as the male to male adapter I used. In other words it was like putting two arrowheads together. I used some plumber's tape on the thread and it all seems to work with no leaks.

Just as an aside, the temp gauge had a strange wire fitting. It looked like a slide on connector which I had not seen. In the end I bent a large female spade connector to do the job.

Now, what is the next improvement program? Thinking I will revisit intermittent wipers again. Tried some years ago without success.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:12 pm 

Some sizes in NPT and BSP are similar thread profile except some are tapered and some Parallel which can make them hard to keep tight, something to watch out for later on.
Others have same thread but rounded or truncated tips Verses full depth which makes them go tight but not seal.

RE wiper Motors:
Later Mini motors look similar, fit the same bracket and are 2 speed and have the solenoid brake in them so a time delay relay could make them intermittent.
I found it impossible to use the TR wiper switch as it does not have enough terminals to provide power to the brake or 2 speed so used a light switch for the 2 speed and just switch off at the right spot. ( A proper solution when jury rigging on the way back from Concours after failed original motor)

Motor cam also gives 1700deg which wipes the entire windscreen, but I did not go any further so I would also like to know how you go on this one.
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:51 pm 

Thanks for the info. Thought of mini wipers. Maybe replace the wiper switch with a headlight switch to give two positions. There are intermittent wiper boards available on the internet. A few years back I tried twice but neither board worked. Maybe it was just my electronic ability, but I did set up the second in a dummy environment with jumper leads but it would not work.

All it basically needs is an adjustable period between switching a circuit on and off. Should not be too complex. Happy to have a box under the dash with an adjustable knob.

Will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 pm 

Re intermittent wipers - if you are happy to have a 'box under the dash with an adjustable knob', I fitted one from Bosch to my 1977 Range Rover many years ago and it worked just fine. I think Hella have one too. Easy to find via Google. It worked independently of the main wiper control, and I had its control knob in the dashboard beside the steering wheel. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 am 

I have seen the Hella unit. It is well over $100 which seems a bit pricey. I also contacted Hella in Australia and they told me I would have to import it. The control card I purchased was under $20. It didn't work but suspect it was my problem.