TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:29 pm 

Where is the best point to mount the seat belt buckle, on the floor or on the tunnel? Does it matter?

I have now done 100 miles in my restoration car. Is it time to retorque the head?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 pm 

My belts are bolted through a large washer under the floor in the corner, You could bolt them onto the side of the tunnel but the washer would have to be welded into place to have any effect. There was no need to re torque cylinder heads after factory assembly so it shouldn't be necessary now but it does no harm and gives you something to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:37 am 

My belts have the flexible steel stalks and bolted mine thru the tunnel wall with steel plate behind as it was the most practical for the belt socket position and ease of connection.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:51 pm 

I have a low port head to put on so I'll leave it for a couple of hundred miles and change heads. The engine will be pretty well run in by then.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:53 pm 

From an operational point, It makes no difference which way you put them. If like Peter yours are on a stalk then the only real option is to put the short side on the tunnel. I also put it on the tunnel even though it is the flexible style. All other cars we drive are that configuration so it is natural. As for mounting them, I prefer a 3 -4mm plate rather than a washer. Unless you can get a large thick washer. You do not need to weld the plate to body but for convenience it is advisable to tack the nut to the plate. As I am usually working on my own, I use a pop rivet to attach the plate to the body.
Regardless of what they did during manufacture it is vital you retorque the head after about 5-600km. You will find it will come down about a half to one flat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:35 pm 

You can purchase std anchor plates from Safe Seat for $5 each. they are plated and have nuts attached 75 x 50 x3 mm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:54 am 

Thanks Peter. Wish I had known that, I just bought 6 at twice that price on ebay. Damn!