TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:17 pm 

My TR 3a idles fine but will bog down and try to stall when I come to a stop light or slow right down at a "give way" or tight corner. I have to heel and toe the accelerator to keep it running as I come to a stop. Also as I begin to move off after a stop I need to work the gas a bit to be sure it will accelerate and not try to stall again. New distributor, new carbs, tight vacuum advance line but timing and carb tuning done by me (not an expert!) Mixture seems fine, plugs look good, car runs great apart from this problem. By the way its been doing this on and off since before the new carbs and distributor. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 pm 

You may need to advance the timing which should increase the idle speed. If you keep advancing the timing until it pinks then back it off a little you will be in the ballpark.

Graham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:25 am 

done all that but many thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 pm 

I had a problem like that years ago. Turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. Try this. Let it idle until it stalls. Take the top off the carby bowl and see what the fuel level is. If you run it at higher revs so that it is running smoothly, you can check again to see what the level is. Sometimes it will not pump properly at low revs if there is a pinhole in the diaphragm.

One other thing it could be is a small leak in the inlet manifold gasket. If you have put on new carbys, the gasket between carby and manifold could be leaking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:45 pm 

Turns out it was dirt in the carburetors...
While I was checking the output of the fuel pump I had a look at the float levels and found fine grit in the bowls. I cleaned that out and fitted an in line fuel filter and gave the carbies a good spray with cleaner which fixed the problem!
Seems kind of obvious now but thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:04 pm 

Glad it is sorted, and not such an issue. I put an inline filter on years ago. What is at the bottom of a 60 year old fuel tank is probably best not spoken of.