TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:15 pm 

Bob cousins had rebuilt the engine on my long door TR2 with 87mm pistons, high port head and 1 3/4" SUs. I drove it with that combination for 2000kms to run it in and sort out the other issues with the car.

I had been told by a few people that for normal driving the smaller carbies are actually better as the higher velocity through the smaller choke will give better low down performance.

So I finally installed the low port head and 1 1/2" carbies and today took it for a 30km drive in the local area. The car started within seconds, a quick balance and adjust the mixtures and it idles and runs beautifully. The car pulls very cleanly from 1100rpm in top overdrive on a flat road. In top it pulls away quite well indeed. Noticeably better than the previous engine configuration. I took it to 4500rpm a couple of times and it felt much the same as before. I didn't go higher where the high port head comes into its own.

The low port head and smaller carbies are a fine combination.