TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:28 pm 

I've become aware of a few TRs that use Evans waterless coolant having engine failures. I put a post on the TR Register UK Forum asking if anybody had any advice on using Evans in TRs. My post was in reply to a post about a car there with Evans having a problem.

The replies I have received are copied below. For privacy reasons I haven't included the names of the posters, they are available on the UK website.

"Well I guess the most knowledgeable advice on engine possible problems running Evans is from Peter Burgess at Alfreton ....Automotive Power Engineering well known for cylinder head tuning on both TRs and MGs, from his website...

"Waterless Coolant . In our opinion using coolants other than water with antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor addition as recommended in the original workshop manual can allow the engine to run too hot and cause problems such as sticking valves and piston damage. We offer no warranty on our engines and heads if waterless coolants are used. Water is the best liquid for transferring heat. "

In addition Peter used to refuse to rolling road engines with Evans coolant (not sure if this is still the case, years since I've talked to him about Evans). As always opinions vary about additives, so what owners add to their systems is their own choices, but if the man I trust to develop my heads and then rolling road my engines doesn't want to be involved with Evans fitments...I'll go along with him."

and

"Evans coolant allows the engine to run too hot" (my comment)

Yes that is exactly right.

As has been explained several times, the pure glycol coolant has a much lower specific heat than water meaning that for a given volume flow through the engine, it just can't move as much heat from the engine to the radiator. It is also more viscous than water so the flow is actually lower too which compounds the effect. The cooling system operates to keep the coolant at the desired temperature as shown by the gauge, which seems to show that all is well, but since the glycol can't 'pick up' the heat as well as water, less heat is being taken away and the engine itself runs hotter than it was designed to do. That extra heat must mean hotter oil and more stress on gaskets and seals.

Pure glycol can work in engines but you would need to redesign the cooling system with more flow to account for the lower thermal efficiency. "