TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A concours comment
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:29 am 

Letter to editor Sidescreen.

It has been said that the cracks in the paint of an old unrestored car can be compared to the smile lines on the face of a beautiful woman. So it is sad when a fellow from SA, allegedly, made some not so nice comments about some of the cars [obviously not his] at the national meeting after the concours. I thought about this and came to the conclusion that he just does not get the fact that ownership of these cars is not just physical, or maybe in his case financial, but you develop an emotional attachment, no matter what condition they are in. This kind of AR attitude is clearly contrary to what I consider the point of owing an old Triumph. Of course I would like to own a perfect concourse ready car, but would I be prepared to hop in it at a moments notice and drive it to Darwin, well no, would I just hop in my unrestored but well looked after car at a moments notice and drive it to Darwin, hell yes. The decrease in concours competition cars of late would not be helped by limiting non concours contenders, surely they make the concourse queens look better. We could all sell our cars and buy an old Jag if we want to pursue perfection. I have thought of restoring my car over the years but then I would miss the driving pleasure whilst the work is underway. Because that is what I think my TR3 is all about, driving pleasure. I come to the concours gatherings for the drive and the chat, not to obsess about the condition, perfect or imperfect, of the other cars there. If the decline in concourse category entry cars is a worry to some people, I think their problem could be solved by scrapping the current arrangements and instigating just three awards. These awards would be 1. Best in show 2. Best modified and 3. Best surviver. The surviver category would be the best unrestored car that has travelled the longest to get to the concourse. Best surviver would be a challenge for the AR set and would have gone to the white long door TR2 from Queensland at this past concours. Unfortunately such a change should require a genuine consensus from the members, not just a fait accompli decision handed down from on high.

Bernard Doherty.

Post subject: Re: A concours comment
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:08 pm 

Hello Viv,
I am not sure about your reference to Life Members above, my comments didn't refer to that topic.
Although when the list was announced the thought that went trough my head was 'I wasn't asked?'
Not I wasn't asked to be a life member, which would be ridiculous, but I wasn't asked if I wanted, as a member of the TR Register, to subsidise their membership.
This is another question related to corporate governance.
BD.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:55 pm 

Hi Bernard,
As one of those on the list of new Life Members, I was both surprised and grateful to the club for that singular honour. I would certainly endorse the effort and energy put in to the club over very many years by the other 3 gentlemen.

I know them each well and for a long time. I can testify to the massive amount of effort and time each has put into the administrative and leadership side of our club. They stepped up to the plate voluntarily and much of the work they have done is probably transparent to most of our members.

I would certainly feel a bit uncomfortable if I thought that any member considered that I may be getting a bit of a free ride at their expense. Our membership subs are fairly small compared to many other clubs so the overall impact should be slight. However I would happily continue to pay my subs if there was any concern from the members.

I generally keep out of the discussions over judging but I do endorse Bernards personal thoughts on the pleasure of driving around in my everyday "road" TR. I did very much love my previous TR2 which was restored to "close to original" but which was a delight to drive and was said by some of the founding members who drove it, to be very much like driving one when it was new.

The stress of trying to keep a concours car going defeated me and I sold the TR2 and purchased a smashed TR3A which allowed me to flog it around in many on-road and off-road rallies, and to run it on the racetrack, and to drive it to Concours without worrying about muddy roads or scratching the car.

Bernard is right - there is a definite emotional attachment to our TRs and I have such an attachment with "Bluey". He (my TR) also has "soul" (stop laughing) and looks after me by breaking down in places where I am not in danger; in almost always getting me home even if there is some mechanical catastrophe or other disaster - but more annoyingly, he spits the dummy if I don't drive him regularly. Leave it for a month or two without a drive and he will produce a weird but non lethal fault. Such as freezing the clutch plates together; developing a massively lumpy idle; blowing a light bulb etc. etc.

What fun it is being a TR owner! And how good is it to meet so many great people in our club where we are free to express out opinions without fear or favour and to develop so many long lasting friendships.
Regards - Rick Fletcher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:35 pm 

Hello Rick,

I have no issue with life members. That topic was raised by Viv.
The key point in my comment following Viv's, above, is ‘I wasn’t asked’

As a share holder in a corporate entity I am sent notice of motions that will be presented to the AGM. I am invited to vote or appoint a proxy. Now the company may not take any notice of my reply but at least I am asked.
This does not seem to happen with the Register?

Bernard.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:55 am 

We enjoyed the casual atmosphere of this concours as usual and the progression of determining the complex issues for ensuring longevity of our association with these cars, what ever that takes, with or without home made steering wheels!

Our 3A was deliberately made for fast comfortable driving for both of us. This means there were some issues that needed to be dealt with, like comfort for a bad back for the navigator and space for essential apparel.

For the driver and maintenance man?
Full on Smithies sports suspension, reliable electrics, compression to suit lower octane fuels in remote locations, easy maintenance wheels, smaller steering wheel to manage tight left handers at speed in Tasmania,(not available to purchase) Electric fuel pump with numerous filters and pressure regulator, Air fuel ratio meters for easy tuning, head temp sensors and warning lights for safety??

After 40,000 miles of trouble free motoring in the past 5 years and a wife who is still happy to share the experience, I am content to reflect on the "Compromises to purity" in exchange for a long list of great memories and children who are competing for the inheritance of the TR.
Keep up the good work.
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:23 pm 

On the subject of Life Membership it is worth noting that the constitution (available to all on the website under the About Us Button) clearly states that the committee has the right to elect members to the status of Life Membership and to announce such decisions at the annual general meeting or the meeting run in conjunction with the Concours which should not be confused with the AGM.
Hope this clarifies the situation.
Bob