TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:47 pm 

Attachment:
DASH sketch.jpg
DASH sketch.jpg [ 82.14 KiB | Viewed 2320 times ]
Engine oil on my left trouser leg means that I have to replace the leather washer seal
on the oil pressure gauge .(clearly dripping) :(
Has anyone advice to offer for the procedure as it's very crammed under there?
Some observations:
The gauge is top right on the panel.
I have a heater fitted with all the de-mister ducting .
My temperature gauge is electric (blessing!)
The wing-nuts securing the top of the panel seem impossible to reach and I’m not sure if the studs are in holes or slots. The manual shows holes and a LHD car from the web slots.

I’m not as flexible as I once was - and my hands seem too large for the task . ;)
Is dismantling the car for a 20c washer replacement the only way?

ChrisL

Attachments:
Dash photo.jpg
Dash photo.jpg [ 46.4 KiB | Viewed 2320 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:29 pm 

Hi Chris. Well my oil pressure gauge is on the top LH side but not to worry. The gauge is located against the panel by a U shaped bracket that is located by a knurled nut. Undo that nut, remove the bracket and then undo the nut that is at the end of the oil pressure line and remove the gauge. It may be possible to just remove the bracket and then pull the gauge out and then remove the nut at the end of the oil pressure line. You are right, it is very crammed up there. It may well be that you will have to remove the heater to get at it all. I did have a heater but it didn't work so I removed it and that made life easier. Worst part of the car. Good luck. P.S. From memory the panel is slotted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:25 pm 
Chris.
If you really cannot reach up behind the dash to the gauge,it may behoove you to remove whichever large instrument is closest...Tacho or Speedo. This should enable access more easily. Make sure you disconnect the battery while working behind the dash.
Bon chance.
m.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:47 pm 
For once I'm a 'been there, done that' and Mal's advice is spot on. Remember to remove your seat cushions if you are a larger chap, like myself! Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:34 pm 

Thank you - Mal, Mark and TRooo3 for your guidance . Especially Viv and Johnno who performed the operation with great skill
through the speedometer aperture- the removal of the the centre panel or heater wasn't necessary.

ChrisL

PS If you wish to become the distributer for the Southern Hemisphere for the oil seals :lol:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141193002265 ... EBIDX%3AIT