TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoods and Tonneaus
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:22 am 

I need both. Any recommendations on both a source to buy from and a good upholsterer to help with alterations to the tonneau to accomodate a roll over bar and head rests.
Cheers
Jim

Post subject: Re: Hoods and Tonneaus
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:23 pm 

Me too, and matching material for the sidescreens.
I have a tonneau on my TR2 from Prestige auto trim in the UK. Not bad but not brilliant. Excellent price. They are on ebay but if you want different to straight black you need to email them directly.
Sales@PrestigeAutotrim.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:46 pm 

Tonneaus and tops. Basically they often come without fasteners because you are supposed to transfer them from the old to the new. Check that. There is supposed to be a difference between early tops and later ones. I bought a top that simply would not fit so it was exchanged. It would have been a problem if it had come from overseas. The material that the tops are made from "colonial?" is not readily available in Australia to make up the sidescreens and may need to be imported. I knew a lot about this some time ago. My preferred trimmer is Jeff Squires from Peakhurst. He did a great job on my 48 Chevrolet and he worked with Ty Pringle (retired?) who did my TR. Worth talking to.
Regards, Terry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:13 pm 

John,
What colour do you want? I have a new tonneau and top in white that I bought from the Register many moons ago. Never been fitted or used. Didn't realise till I got them out last year that they were white, not stone so I am not intending to use them.
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:26 am 

Jim Allen wrote:
John,
What colour do you want? I have a new tonneau and top in white that I bought from the Register many moons ago. Never been fitted or used. Didn't realise till I got them out last year that they were white, not stone so I am not intending to use them.
Cheers
Jim

Thanks Jim, tan for my short door and fawn for the long door. It is tempting but my originality bent would leave me unhappy with anything too far from what it came with.
I imported dozens of tops and tonneaus in the 80s as a bit of a sideline business, when we got 90p to the $. All those and the tonneau I got from Prestige a few years ago, the tan one on my car, were slightly oversize, which a local trimmer can correct if needed.
If it was too small it would be a major problem.
I went to a trimmer in Rozelle to get a quote for a soft top/tonneau for the long door (haven't got his details with me but he is just off Victoria Rd west of Lyons Rd. He repadded my TR6 seats). He told me not to bother having a trimmer make one, buy it from the UK and he will fit it.