TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sidescreen Vinyl
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:04 pm 

I am in the process of ordering my new hood and tonneau and so that I get a matching lot I would like to order at the same time the vinyl that I will need to cover a pair of side screens. I only have the metal frames.
Does any one know how much vinyl I need to order to take, along with the metal frames to a local upholsterer for the job to be done properly.

Cheers

Jim

Post subject: Re: Sidescreen Vinyl
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm 

Jim
This can be a little tricky but you will find the effort is well worth while when driving in the rain. There are many solutions various trimmers and owners have used to overcome the problem of getting the sewing close to the frame on the leading edge Some more successful than others.

Post subject: Re: Sidescreen Vinyl
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:40 pm 

The sidescreens are basically 36" x 24" . If I remember correctly vinyl is 54" wide so ultimately you need about 100" of vinyl to do both sidescreens. Originally they were covered using one piece of vinyl but then again they did over 80000 sets so they were good at it. To do it once and get it right is difficult. As a result mine were covered in three pieces so I used less material and it was a lot more accurate. As part of the design the front section of perspex can be separated. Have a look at what others have done, it's worth doing. Whatever you do make sure the bare sidescreen frames are a perfect fit with the top up.Ensure that they clear the body allowing for the vinyl before they are covered..