TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H6SUcarburetta Dampers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:35 pm 

The original damper was brass but can someone advise whether there should be a small vent hole or not? I have seen both with and without and I want to get new ones. Cheers Rusty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:27 pm 

Further to my post aftere more research I found this on SU Carb .com .UK "This is the Black Plastic Version. Dampers are designed to Slow the rise of the Suction Piston in the Carburettor in order to give a richer mixture on snap acceleration. They vary considerably from type to type by varying the clearances in the assembled Components. The oil in the Dashpot is forced through the Assembly and thus Slows (dampens) the Piston rise. A further difference is that some are externally vented (hole in the top) and some are internally vented (angled hole in the Suction Chamber) these are termed dustproof and non-dustproof respectively. It is essential that the correct part is fitted to ensure smooth Running of the engine. " Therefore I understand our H6 SU carbies on TR3s are ventilated via the angled aluminium and a non "holed" damper is correct. Earlier SU's (H4) without the angled aluminium chamber vent require the cap with the hole. Hope this helps cheers, Rusty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:26 pm 

Good info. Well researched.