TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHEEL ALIGNMENT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:57 pm 

I have just had a proper wheel alignment done on the restored TR2. The figures after the alignment are:

Left                                     Right

Camber    1.4 deg                                1.52 deg

Castor       -1.33 deg                            -0.07 deg

Toe in        -1.1mm                                -1.0mm

What impact will this have on the steering?

The castor is obviously out on the left wheel, it should be 0. I believe I can adjust this by moving the top ball joint towards the back of the car. How can I do this?

Post subject: Re: WHEEL ALIGNMENT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:01 pm 

Did they check the centre to centre of the wheels each side? Has there been some accident damage which hasn’t been put back correctly? Moving the top ball joint back or forward might mean doing something with the tower, like in welding it and rewelding it to the correct position. Not sure if it’s worth the effort if it drives and steers ok. R

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:17 pm 

The chassis was straight and has not had any accidents.
When I took the wheel off it looked to me as if the top ball joint was very slightly off centre to put the top of the vertical link very slightly forward of where it should be. I undid the top ball joint, it wasn't fully tight as it turned out, and gave the ball joint a tap or two towards the back of the car. It looked to then be vertical.
I also loosened the top wishbone mount and tapped it towards the back to take out any play and retightened it.
These actions might have resulted in moving the top pivot point a couple of mm rearwards.
A test drive this morning and it is better. It doesn't pull to the left now, a slight drift to the left on the camber. When I get on a flat road it is Ok.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:40 am 

Problem solved.
My garage has been out of action due to a new driveway so I did some thinking and jacked the front of the car up. The right hand brakes and bearing were good. The left hand brake was binding quite badly, the wheel could be turned by hand but only with some pressure and it wouldn't spin freely. I adjusted the brake and then found the wheel bearing was too tight, not binding but quite a bit too tight. Slackened the nut one flat, put more grease in the cap and put it back together. Both front wheels spin freely and the brakes release nicely.
This morning was my first chance to take it for a run and the steering is fine, very good actually. It turns both ways smoothly, holds a nice line on sweeping bends (Revington steering box top) and I had a big smile as I covered 25kms.
I'm glad I didn't rush into dismantling my new front suspension. It is usually something simple with these cars