TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ignition timing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 am 

Can anyone help me decode the following from the Haynes manual for the TR 3a?
Chapter 4 section 10 paragraph 7. "Turn the knurled vernier screw anti clockwise until the specified number of divisions appropriate to the model concerned are visible. Each complete division corresponds to 4 degrees." No idea what they are talking about.
Or perhaps suggest a better way of setting timing. I'm about to fit a new distributor.

Post subject: Re: ignition timing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:57 pm 

There is plenty of good information on the web .....look up Macy's Garage Ltd and have a read in their technical section before you do anything.
Explains the use of the vernier adj. The main thing is that the static timing is just to enable you to start the engine and that the setting for a particular engine can then be adjusted to optimum by use of the vernier. Common way is to conduct a series of test drives gradually advancing the timing till the engine starts to "ping" (mettalic rattle) under acceleration and then back off till the "ping" dissapears. Type of fuel, mechanical condition and compression ratio of the engine effect the optimum timing and with a points system the correct setting of the points gap is critical before you start.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:17 pm 

Many thanks Peter, the Macys garage stuff was very helpfull. As always, its easy when you know how!
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:31 pm 

Hi Peter
You mentioned you are about to fit a new distributor, have you had it made or checked out to see if it is all correct to our triumphs specifications? There have been members who have had big failures as a result of fitting a new distributor but its settings were not correct.
Performance ignition can do this for you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:41 am 

Johnjohnson wrote:
Hi Peter
You mentioned you are about to fit a new distributor, have you had it made or checked out to see if it is all correct to our triumphs specifications? There have been members who have had big failures as a result of fitting a new distributor but its settings were not correct.
Performance ignition can do this for you.

Johnno, are the problem ones the Register distributors? I have bought one of the ones on special to go into my BRG daily driver. I was going to fit it between getting back from overseas and departing for Adelaide but I only have a few days so I won't change it if it is likely to cause a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:13 pm 

I fitted one of the new distributors from The Register and have had no problems, did well over 1,000kms on the July Canberra run with no issues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:08 pm 

With new rebuild I fitted electronic ignition, have had nothing but problems, replaced coil then motor ran for 10 km then stopped. Had mechanic check & got motor running, next day wouldn't start.
Got new dizzy & coil from register which I fitted today using old & faded memory, it started immediately & ran sweetly.
Will not be refitting electronic ignition.
Many thanks Ray for very fast delivery to W.A.
cheers carramah