TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low oil Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:56 pm 

Hi all you TR tragic s.
I, no not me my TR, has low oil pressure. After the Christmas lunch at Penrith we headed home via Richmond. It was about 42 in the shade. Just after reaching the main road and our first traffic light I noticed I had no, yep, no oil pressure. I could get about 20PSI at 2000 and a max of 25PSI at higher RPM. The engine sounded fine but Gwen was giving me a bit of grief about sitting in the sun (roof down) in 42 deg heat. I convinced myself that it was a gauge problem and continued home with a min RPM of 2000. Interesting in 42 deg heat and traffic. Still it did not overheat and still sounded fine when we got home after a one hour trip. Checked the gauge,OK..oil level OK. Pulled the relief valve...all OK. Pulled the rocker cover, run the engine and found a leak around the locating screw for the rocker shaft. Fixed that...still the same. Shut the garage door and had a drink.
Next, day took it for a drive and oil pressure seemed OK. I then refitted my oil cooler which I had removed after stopping track work. Next time out on any sort of run was to Pie in the Sky and it was not hot but warm. On the way home the pressure was about 50PSI so still low. Now I have pulled the sump and checked the bearings..all good. Checked the cam bushes had not moved...all good. removed the oil pump and checked. All clearances were well within specs but the spindle was a bit loose on the shaft, the pin was still in place. I have ordered a new spindle and rotor but do not think it could cause the problem.
I am at a bit of a loss. Any suggestions????

Post subject: Re: Low oil Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:07 pm 

Hi Brian. If you don't know, who does? Anyway, a few thoughts. What do you expect? 50 PSI is what the factory manual expects which is why the tell tale on the gauge points there. Actually 40-60 at 30-40 mph is the range. You may have modifications and therefore expect other things. The inconsistent variation in the readings to my mind indicates that there is no major base problem. More to do with some rubbish loose in the gauge line or filter head. Oil pressure always interests me. My 28 Chev started at 7 PSI cold and ran at 5 PSI for about 20000 miles. My 38 starts at 30 PSI and runs at 15 PSI. Why all the variations? This most probably won't help but at least it's an answer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:06 pm 

50 PSI would be OK if that is what normally runs at. My car normally runs between 65 and 75 depending on conditions. It would normally drop to around 20-25 when hot at idle ( my idle is 650) but zero is a bit low.
I have two gauges, the dash and the EFI. Both with separate sensors and both read the same.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:58 pm 

Interesting comment about the oil pressure in the 28 Chev, the chev 4 engine is dip and splash for the big ends and cylinders gravity feed from the oil wells for the crankshaft main bearings and the rocker gear is oil can onto a felt pad.The manual states it doesn't matter how much oil pressure you have as long as there is some. My 26 Chev has no oil filter or air cleaner with exposed pushrods which gives you the opportunity to check the idle speed by holding one of the pushrods count the number of strokes in 12 seconds and multiply by 10 the ideal idle speed is 300 RPM

Graham