TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starter problem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 am 

I have a hi-torque starter which is a few years old. Lately, it has started playing up. When I try to start, I can hear the solenoid engage but the motor does not turn. Usually after a few tries -maybe up to a dozen - it will turn and start normally. It may be a coincidence but it seems to happen in wet weather. The battery is fine so it is not that, and no other obvious physical issues with cables. Has anyone had this problem with the hi-torque motors?

Post subject: Re: Starter problem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:15 pm 

They say the best way to find something is to go out and buy a replacement. The same theory applies here. No sooner had I posted the message than I had another incident with the starter. Poking about, I found the nut holding the cable onto the motor was loose. Tightened it and all is well .... so far. There is a lesson here. If you have a problem, post it on the forum and you will solve it without any intervention.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:35 am 

I've had the same problem ever since I bought the car- one of the first things I did was to pull the starter motor (what a job!) and have it bench tested; perfectly OK. Car will go months with no trouble and then for no apparent reason the starter will play up again. Usually when I have just thought "wow, no trouble with starting for a while!"
I've just learned to live with it. It has never actually not started although sometimes takes a few tries.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:57 am 

Interesting. I had put it down to the loose connection, but it has only been a few days. Maybe that was a second problem and I will go back to intermittent starts. I know the ring gear is not great and thought maybe it was jamming the starter so tried rocking the car in gear, but it made no difference. Would be interested to see if anyone else has had a problem with the hi-torque starters. Will post another comment if it still happens. I just said "Wow. No problem with the starter for a while." Seems like that is putting a curse on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:39 am 

A few years ago, 3-4 maybe, I put an article in Sidescreen covering a similar problem I had with my starter which was one of the early four starters the Register purchased.
The problem was in the solenoid. When I opened it up it was all claged (technical term) up with corrosion. Water had leaked into the housing and would stop the solenoid from making contact. I cleaned it out and sealed up a small hole that I can only assume was a breather. No problems after that.
The ring gear should not be an issue as the new starters engage from the front, not the back as the originals do.