TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:00 pm 

Hi
Have run into a problem reinstalling the complete rear axle bearing carrier and hub on the TR3B.
The rear axle was removed for new diff bearings which had failed. With the new diff bearings installed in the rear axle all was going ok until it came to refitting the rear half shafts which were removed with their bearing carriers and hubs kept attached. It doesn't seem to matter how I position the axle I end up with a gap of about 1mm between the end of the axle and the bearing carrier. I thought tightening up the six bolts that attach the carrier to the axle ends would solve the problem but when fully tightened there is still a 1mm gap. The problem is the same on both sides.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers
Stephen
PS I have changed the rear half shafts on the rally car numerous times and they fit in perfectly each time.

Attachment:
TR3B Axle3.jpg
TR3B Axle3.jpg [ 97.04 KiB | Viewed 1111 times ]

Attachments:
TR3B Axle 4.jpg
TR3B Axle 4.jpg [ 61.53 KiB | Viewed 1111 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:41 pm 

What have you done with all the shims/spacers between the hub and axel?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:13 am 

There was one shim on the right hand axle which left a small amount of movement in both axles. I have put the shim in but the current gap is way to large to resolve with shims.
Thanks
Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:28 pm 

Assuming the axles are still fully home in the hub, the only thing that should prevent the axles from installing is the aluminium spacer in the diff that transfers the end thrust on the axles when the car is turning. As the diff has been apart I would look at that.
The end float that needs to be set is in fact the clearance between this spacer and the axles.
Check with the repairer to see if he did anything to that aluminium spacer.
Just a thought but all I could think of.
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:38 pm 

This may sound silly, but have you swapped axles from one side to the other?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am 

Apologies for this thread as I think I must have lost the plot putting the axle back in the car. For reasons that are simply beyond me I have not put the brake backing plate on the axle hence the gap.
Perhaps it’s a good thing that my fourth attempt at retirement in three weeks will be successful.
Just for completeness the repairer indicated that the original thrust button was installed in the diff and each of the axles and parts were marked to show the side but not the sequence.
Thanks to you all for your comments which has resolved the problem that did not need to be resolved
Cheers
Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:03 pm 

Stephen.... another member needs a set of backing plates so if you are not going to put them back, please forward them to me......welcome to the forgetful years...Regards, mm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 pm 

Left the backing plates out.........never thought of that one. Must remember that for the future.
At least the problem is resolved.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:54 pm 

Just goes to show how easily led we are, have to remember to look outside the circle.

Graham