TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Regulators
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:52 pm 

I have just got back from a drive in my restoration project TR2 and the charge light is showing a regulator problem, it glows brightly at higher revs and faintly at idle.
I have already replaced one a few hundred miles ago. The wiring was checked by a senior age electrician after I installed the new loom.
I suspect the Register regulator is not a quality item.
Any ideas on what could be the problem and has anybody else had problems with Register regulators?

Post subject: Re: Regulators
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:29 am 

Why do you have a charge light? They are not highly accurate anyway. What is your amp meter telling you? Actually regulators were not common up until just before WW2. The generator charged and if it did too much a 3rd brush was adjusted or you turned your lights on. There is the possibility that there is a fault in your wiring and the regulator is charging high to try to compensate. It then goes dim because under about 1000 rpm there is no charge. Sound like a trip to a good auto electrician is needed. They will quickly evaluate your regulator and adjust it if needs be. By the way I recently had problems with the charging circuit in my 38 Chev. I visited six auto electricians before I found one who knew what to do which included rebuilding a generator. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:35 am 

Thanks Terry.
The ammeter was showing 0. The light is handy in diagnosing a charging problem. When it has these symptoms it indicates the regulator points are the problem.
I cleaned the regulator points this morning and the system is charging again. But for how long?
I went through the same process about 3 months ago and the electrician, he is over 60 and knows these cars, diagnosed the then nearly new regulator as the problem. When he opened it up he said it is an Indian built one so don't bother with it just get another one.
This same problem is with the 'another' one.
A few years ago my other car went through 2 Register regulators before I got one that lasted.
I am looking at a solid state one from the UK. They are in original Lucas RB106 housings so will look the part.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:34 pm 

Sounds like a good idea.Would be interesting to hear how a modern unit functions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:52 pm 

I was put onto the solid state ones by UK Register members. They have been using them for a long time and haven't had any problems.
It will cost me 162 pounds Sterling for one delivered. I can buy a lot of Register regulators for that.