TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:42 pm 

Hi, Fuel was leaking from the top of the Glass bowl on the petrol pump. Removing the pump , the original filter and seal had been replaced with a nylon? type filter as part of a neoprene type seal. It had cracked badly , hence fuel severely leaking after my initial attempts to tighten the bowl. Does anyone know the specification of the brass gauze to make a new filter? I have found brass meshes on ebay with such description a "N54: Specifications: 0.40mm Distance between the 2 wires
0.22mm Diameter of the wire
41% Approximate open space
This brass mesh is used in Brass horns - also used in fuel filters and sump filters."

I don't know what it should be to ensure filtering verses performance for our cars. Any advice welcome. Rusty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:14 pm 

I wouldn't be too concerned with the pump filter but rather go for an inline filter between the pump and the first carburetor. My answer is based on the fact I have no idea what the gauze size of the pump filter is.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:52 pm 

I have received a reply from a supplier :
I wanted to make sure I had the correct information for you so took your message to a well know and respected Rolls Royce repairer (mechanic) and he tested my mesh with fuel. He advised the VN-54 mesh is too coarse for your requirements.

You need the Extra fine mesh with is:
VN-52 - 150mm x 150mm $18.95 or
VN-53 - 300mm x 150mm - $24.95
Good to have people who care to provide helpful information. Installing an inline filter is always a good belt and braces approach always worthwhile. Rusty