TR Register Forum

The TR Register Australia Inc. forum dedicated to Sidescreen TRs and Derivatives
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrading the clutch
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:35 pm 

I have an all syncro box on my TR using the input shaft that came from with the box from a Triumph 2500. I am using an Isuzu truck clutch plate as far as I can remember as the TR clutch plate will not fit the sedan input shaft. I will soon need to replace the clutch plate and was looking at a few options.

After a chat with Brian Richards today regarding using a Triumph 200/2.5/TR6 clutch in an early car, I am trying to recall all the information he provided. Maybe Brian or someone can add or correct my recollection.

I need a 2000 or equivalent clutch kit. This is one from Exedy part number TRK-6116 for $273.66 including delivery. It includes clutch plate, diaphragm pressure plate and bearing.
https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/exedy-standard-replacement-clutch-kit-trk-6116?gclid=CjwKCAjwxev3BRBBEiwAiB_PWIMHN2gzJK279Nea7auMZgA32pyP8veldixfMFqcMIClH4ODOoPo7xoCA6QQAvD_BwE

I also need a release bearing carrier sleeve from one of the later models. Moss carry one - part number 592-025 for $27.99.

https://mossmotors.com/sleeve-release-bearing-carrier-steel-as-original?assoc=76948

They also have some supplementary information in a pdf.

https://mossmotors.com/media/instructions/596-025_596-026.pdf

In terms of installation, the following work needs to be done.
• Have the pressure plate fitted to the flywheel by drilling and tapping the holes. This includes the dowel pins.
• Remove the return spring on the clutch fork

From what I can remember that was it. There is no change required to the fork, clutch operating shaft, or pushrod on the slave cylinder.

What did I miss?

Post subject: Re: Upgrading the clutch
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:18 pm 

Neville

The TRK6116 looks good although if you go to the Excedy site it shows a bit of a conflict in that, showing this kit for the 2500, Dolomite, GT6, etc but also saying it is not compatible. I would say its correct, just check prior to ordering.
I would be surprised it some one does not have a surplus bearing carrier sleeve, maybe Mal has one.
The clutch fork is different to the TR one. The fork is narrower but fits the same actuating shaft. Again, I would be surprised if there is not one out there. Just make sure you get the two little square runners that fit to the fork.
The output flange is different as is the speedo drive but as you have been using this box, you have must have made the necessary fixes.

Post subject: Re: Upgrading the clutch
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:45 am 

Thanks for the update. I will check with Mal re:
- Fork with square runners
- Bearing carrier sleeve